Friday, March 6, 2009

Carbon

http://www.thebulletin.org/web-edition/roundtables/carbon-tax-vs-cap-and-trade

Check out the above link for a discussion as to the benefits between a proposed carbon tax vs the cap-and-trade avenue of approach.

Afterwards, one may wish to either pound one's head into a wall or merely stop reading after the first couple of interviews after "admitting" that the higher powers in DC will end up making the correct decisions in the long run. Now, of course, the crucial assumption will be made that any decision will be based solely on the collective good of the republic as opposed to any one industry. Yep..that was sarcasm.

My point is that even I don't understand the intricacies of either of these topics although I've tried hard to muddle through the various definitions of both and how, based upon one expert or another, BOTH entities would be much better for the economy than the other. Confusing. Go ahead...word search both topics and see what I mean.

Theoretically, there should be a finite truth here devoid of industry bias. But how does one find the reality here? Quite honestly, I'm stuck on this one. I have no idea who's telling the truth or has the best judgement. Proponents of both avenues clearly have delineated their own agendas so which one should take precedent?

What a mess. It's a subject of importance and there seems to be a clear lack of coherent agreement all around. It's times like this that I question my desire to jump into the quagmire of DC politics.

On the other hand......

No comments: