Monday, December 15, 2008

Blue Ocean/ Political Strategy

I want to discuss one of the main tenets of the book Blue Ocean Strategy. Go get a breakdown on the book over at Wikipedia if you have the time. Or better yet---grab a copy either at your local library or skim the various chapters at a local bookstore. I've mentioned this before that if you're a business owner, a look at this book's premise would be quite valuable.

One of the concepts advanced within the development of a strategic business plan is to 'make your opponents/competitors irrelevant" versus the standard business style of "beating the competition". Essentially the book looks at two oceans of business practice. The Red Ocean is the "bloody water" of intense rivalry and competition within any given arena of business endeavor in which competing interests go after a finite market for a larger share of the proverbial "pie". A Blue Ocean represents essentially a means of differentiation in which a business goes "outside the box" and cuts loose fom the competition for that same slice of the pie and in turn creates a strategy of developing more innovative leadership and product/service development...essentially leaving its competition irrelevant.

This is the focus I'm pursuing in my quest for a seat in the US Senate. I've had some people comment that I don't stand a snowball's chance in hell in winning the election given the backroom deals and the sheer amount of money and powerplays that usually go into a race for a US Senate seat. On the other hand, these same people think it's great that I'm making an effort at the same time.

As I've told them (and had mentioned previously in another posting)---I'm not running against anyone and refuse to allow that thought process to take away any of my energy. Whoever is my opponent is technically irrelevant in terms of my perspective and style and what I have to offer. I don't care how much money is being generated to advance the cause of any of my opponents; again, what my future opponents wish to do to advance their cause and agenda...is totally irrelevant.

The issues we face are of much greater import and appreciating, understanding and advancing the generic good of our citizens are the drivers for me in pursuit of the US Senate---the energy I prefer to spend on these goals is more germaine to the development of my perspectives in the national political arena.

No comments: