Friday, December 12, 2008

Blagojevich and Statistics

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-blagojevich-senate-10dec10,0,3288567.story

The above link deals with a Chicago Tribune article on that Illinois governor. I will get to that in a moment.

I have been working on an essay and posting regarding my recommendation to establish a national standard for determining true representative statistics of any politically based statistic that is produced by the federal government. That sentence has a lot of material to digest and so I will be working upon this thought over the near term and present further information. Suffice it to say, I really have trouble with the vagueries of generic statistics that are often thrown around and used (abused?) by whatever organization or lobbyist that seeks value and political/monetary gain in whatever interpretation can be made with a given statistic. There's an expression that " figures lie and liars figure". Just wait until we discuss the various definitions of unemployment as well as a correlation with the pharmaceutical industry in the manipulation of data.

Anyhow, back to the above link. I'm quite interested in how this whole story will unfold. I find it interesting in the article that Obama's aide Axelrod seemed to do a turn-about in terms as to whether Obama had any contact with this governor. And it's interesting to read about the relationships of other members of Obama's inner circle with this individual. But that's not my point to this posting.Well, actually there is a point. How does one trust or interpret conflicting news items?

I'm just so happy that I made the decision to be an Independent in going for the US Senate. Yes..I recognize that I'm up against "big money" that will want to get someone from one of the major parties to fill the Senate seat I'm looking at. Blagojevich did make a valid comment that "the Senate seat was 'a [expletive] valuable thing, you just don't give it away for nothing.'".

And he's right. There is a lot of power in being a US Senator. But the question is..is the power going to be used as a means of advancing and protecting the values and general needs of the United States as a whole and without reservation--- or will this power be influenced by other interested parties who wish to subvert the person occupying that Senate seat for their own financial or political agendas?

It seems that our history has numerous footnotes as to the role of "agenda" in the formulation of our way of government

My energies in the evaluation and production of policy making will be based upon my personal analysis of the issues. I am not an expert in anything quite honestly as there will always be someone out there who will have more information that I will ever master. My preference is to always look at both sides of an argument. My particular judgement call on any one issue will be made with what is known as both a gut instinct as well as careful and reasoned interpretation of what would be beneficial for the country as a whole.

Yes. I do think that being in the Senate is "a [expletive] valuable thing".

It's more than just a "thing", Governor. And there are some people that aspire to do the right thing when they become Senator.

No comments: